30 Nov – Update

It was a quiet day today, just 4 of us in total. Still, we were productive!

First off –  the 3 Sisters Bed. The corn are really starting to gain height now. Even though the rain has managed to thin the number of pumpkins, the survivors are doing well thanks to the shelter provided by the corn and bean leaves.

Corn are really starting to grow now.
Grow corn, grow!

So we got to work trimming the bean plants and harvesting more of the ripened pods.

Trimming bean plants
Trimming bean plants
Harvested more green beans!
Harvested more green beans!

Next, the garlic and onion bed! This bed was made on top of where our compost pile used to sit before we upped and flipped it to the left. We planted the garlic and onion bulbs about 2 weeks back and now they are doing relatively well despite the wet weather. 2 onion bulbs have disappeared, but it’s all good.

Onion and garlic doing well
Onion and garlic doing well

Third – The herb spiral!

We did some moving here and there on the spiral to tidy up the place. For example, we have moved the oyster plant/boat lilies out of the spiral, into a new spot along the walls. The laksa leaves were moved into the chilli bed, as long as along the walls. We are also testing out a new spot for the borage, by transplanting some cuttings one level down from where it sits now. And if all goes as planned, that’ll become its new permanent home and we will move everything else on the bottom level (mint, oregano, creet and indian coriander) to the right, or up the spiral.

Variegated Borage planted in a new spot in the spiral
Variegated Borage planted in a new spot in the spiral
Transplanted herbal leaves
Transplanted herbal leaves

The Chilli Bed!

We’re finally putting our own compost to good use – by topping up the soil in the wicking bed with all the chillies. We also tidied up this bed and sowed some fresh Chilli Padi seeds into the soil. Hopefully we well be able to start replacing the old chilli plants with these new ones.

1st batch of compost from our compost pile being used in one of the wicking beds!
1st batch of compost from our compost pile being used in one of the wicking beds!
Chilli Padi seeds sown into the bed
Chilli Padi seeds sown into the bed

A cause of concern – It seems like we might be facing a grasshopper infestation. A large number of them were seen on the back of the borage leaves. Hopefully our garden doesn’t disappear when we visit it next weekend.

Grasshopper infestation.
Grasshopper infestation.

And lastly, why waste what has fallen from the trees? This is as close to autumn as we get here in Singapore. The park was littered with many dried leaves. So we armed ourselves with tree branches and swept as many off the hardcourt as we could. The dried leaves are now put to use in the compost pile.

Armed with a tree branch, we swept the dried leaves and added them to the compost pile.
Armed with a tree branch, we swept the dried leaves and added them to the compost pile.

And so, such was what went down at the Pavilion Edible Garden this fine Sunday. :)

Advertisements

Please leave a reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s