The edible leaves of “mu cai” are ready for harvesting! Have not been able to find English name, “mu cai” is the Mandarin name. I believe it is a type of lettuce.
Neighbour Mr. Teo encourages neighbours to harvest the leaves, and said the leaves when stir fried are really tasty.
Must say that this isn’t a vegetable that is readily available in the markets – so much so that we tell neighbours that the leaves are ready for harvesting, no one says a word! (Compared to say, the “cai xin”)
Anyway, I decided to harvest some leaves, and give the stir fry a try.
Here’s a little recipe:
- harvest the leaves.
- trim away the middle stem if one doesn’t like the harder stem portion.
- slice the leaves into smaller pieces.
- heat the wok with some oil
- add dried shrimps or dried silver fish, and minced garlic
- stir fry the above until there is a nice fragrance
- add in the leaves
- mix well
- add a bit of water as needed
- wait a few seconds… done!
- enjoy the dish :)